Steal my thunder

zumac

USA: English & Spanish
"Steal my thunder" is a known expression (frase hecha) to indicate that someone or something has taken the attention away from you.

Example: I was playing the piano at a party, and John started singing along loudly, drowning out the piano and stealing my thunder.

A quite similar expression is: "take the wind out of my sails."
Ex: John took the wind out of my sails.

Please provide a Spanish equivalent for "steal my thunder." No literal translations, please.

My attempt: Me hizo sombra.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
  • Navonod

Dominican Republic - Spanish
    In the Dominican Republic we would say "me robó los caramelos", "se/me robó el show" or "me robó la idea".

zumac

In the Dominican Republic we would say "me robó los caramelos", "se/me robó el show" or "me robó la idea".
    Thanks, Navonod.

I like "me robo los caramelos." I never heard it before but it sounds great.

"Me robó el show" is ok too. Although it uses an English word, it gets the point across.

"Me robó la idea" is too specific regarding stealing an idea. You couldn't use this phrase with my example above about playing the piano.

Saludos.

jasminasul

Spanish Andalusia
    A few days ago I had to translate this expression and I went for "China eclipsó a Japón al convertirse en la segunda economía más grande del mundo".

zumac

A few days ago I had to translate this expression and I went for "China eclipsó a Japón al convertirse en la segunda economía más grande del mundo".
    Gracias Jasminasul:

Yes, in that particular sentence, the word "eclipsó" works very well.

Saludos.

bozifer

Spanish
    Definitivamente, to steal someone's thunder significa robarle el protagonismo a alguien.

Como ejemplo, el capítulo de la serie Friends 'The One with Monica's Thunder' (season 7 episode 1), en el que Mónica se enfada con el resto de sus amigos porque le roban el protagonismo el día en Chandler le pide matrimonio. Espero haber sido de ayuda