step-brother vs half-brother

nundah3

English (Aussie) & Spanish
Hi wordreferencers,

Can anybody explain the difference in meaning and use, if any?

Thanks,

Nundah

• Filis Cañí

Banned
    Triana, caló
    Stepbrother: not a blood relation. If my mother died and my father married a woman with sons, those sons would be my stepbrothers.
    Half-brother: If my father had a son with a woman other than my mother, he would be my half-brother.

mediterraneo24

Hebrew
    The way I understand it:

A step brother is one that you are not biologically related to.
    A half brother is one that you share the same mother with.

Wait for more ideas..

mediterraneo24

Hebrew
    Stepbrother: not a blood relation. If my mother died and my father married a woman with sons, those sons would be my stepbrothers.
    Half-brother: If my father had a son with a woman other than my mother, he would be my half-brother.
    I stand corrected, Filis cañi is right:
    If you have e siebling and you share the same father you are half brothers.
    If you share the same mother you are brothers.
    If you are not blood related you are stepbrothers

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    If you have a sibling and you share the same father (or the same mother, but not both) you are half brothers.
    If you share the same mother (but not the same father) you are half brothers.
    If you are not blood related you are stepbrothers.
    A stepbrother or stepsister is the child of someone who has married one of your parents, either one.
    Eg. Your parents divorce and each remarries. Your mother's new husband already has children and your father's new wife already has children. All those children are your stepbrothers or stepsisters.
    The son of your father's spouse (who is not your father's own son) is your stepbrother and so is the son of your mother's spouse (who is not your mother's own son). Those children are your father's or mother's stepchildren.

Last edited:

nundah3

Aztlaniano, just as I thought it was. Thank you.
    mediterraneo24:
    "If you share the same mother you are brothers." - Sorry I don't agree in this point.

The main difference is due to the blood relation, when we refer to half-brothers/sisters; no blood relation, then we refer to step-brothers/sisters.

Thanks

Antpax

Spanish Spain
    Hi,

The doubt seems solved, but here is a link to a similar thread in the English Only Forum, in case you want to take a look.

Cheers.

Ant

mediterraneo24

Hebrew
    I still think there is a fundamental distinction between the two,
    maybe derived from cultural or traditional differences, which are beyond the scope of linguistics...

Thank you all

RicardoElAbogado

American English
    Let's say your parents divorce, and one of them remarries. The child of your natural parent's new spouse is your step-brother (or step-sister).

Now let's say that your natural parent has a child with the new spouse. That child is your half-brother (or half-sister) since you have only one parent in common (not two).

"If you share the same mother you are brothers"
    Not correct. Only if you share both parents are you true brothers. If all you share is the same mother (but have different fathers) you are half-brothers.

nundah3

I've just found this definition for half-brother:
    "the son of either of one's parents by another partner"
    And for step-brother:
    "A son of one's stepparent."

< Previous | Next >