Stepford bureaucrat

< Previous | Next >

minhduc

vietnamese
Hello
This is an extract from Rain Fall by Barry Eisler.

"I don't know. All I know is that in the wrong hands it would be detrimental to the national security of the United States."
"Try not to sound like the Stepford bureaucrat, Benny. Tell me what's on the disk."

Would you like to give me the mening of "Stepford bureaucrat"? Thanks.

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Do you know what a "Stepford wife" is? Here's the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepford_wife

Levin's book and the movie made from it have become ubiquitous in America. We use the term "Stepford wife" to refer to any woman who plays the role of housewife so whole-heartedly that she seems artificial or robotic.

The usage "Stepford bureaucrat" is extrapolated from that term.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here is a relevant sentence from the Wiki link:

<< No longer necessary. See post below. >>

A Stepford bureaucrat, would be someone who only thinks like a bureaucrat, without ordinary human feelings or responses.

<<Note: The relevant information behind a link should always be included in the post itself. See Posting links. >>

Last edited:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Oh, it gets much more relevant:
    The label "Stepford wife" is usually applied to a woman who seems to conform blindly to an old-fashioned subservient role in relationship to her husband, compared to other, presumably more independent women. It can also be used to criticise any person, male or female, who submits meekly to authority and/or abuse; or even to describe someone who lives in a robotic, conformist manner without giving offense to anyone. The word "Stepford" can also be used as an adjective ("He's a real Stepford employee"), or a noun ("My home town is a Stepford"),[5] denoting servility or blind conformity, or a seemingly perfect society hiding a dark secret.

< Previous | Next >