Stereotype(as a verb)

< Previous | Next >

Aloyalfriend

Persian-Iran
Hi folks
Homeless people are stereotyped as alcoholics or addicts.
The above sentence, is an example of using the word *stereotype* as a verb in Longman dictionary. Does the verb *stereotype* mean to discriminate between different races/social class etc.?
If not, what verb or phrase would carry the same meaning most?

• Copyright

American English
    If you found this sentence in a dictionary, it should also show you the meaning. Stereotype as verb means to view or think about a person, or a group, etc., in an overly simplified way.

I think you'll need to tell us more about the discrimination you mean: to discriminate can have more than one meaning.

Aloyalfriend

Persian-Iran
    Children from certain backgrounds tend to be stereotyped by their teachers.
    The above sentence is an example of using *stereotype* as a verb.
    What verb or phrase would mean the same thing as *stereotype* does in this sentence?

Copyright

American English
    Our forum synonym dictionary list these suggests for stereotype: conventionalize, pigeon-hole, define, prejudge, catalogue, systematize.

The closest for me is "pigeon-hole," but in most contexts, I would stick with "stereotype," which is widely understood and is useful in both casual and formal situations.

Aloyalfriend

Persian-Iran
    Alright:)
    Does it make sense to say * when I was a school boy, I was stereotyped as a bookworm?( I mean to say, when I was a school boy, I studied so much that everyone would call me bookworm.

< Previous | Next >