Stereotype in scientific writing?

< Previous | Next >

gringanobrasil

English-USA
Do we use the word stereotype in English scientific writing? I can't find anything on the internet.

In Portuguese, it is used... stereotypes (models) of things.

I think the better word in English is prototype.

Thoughts? Thank you!

• Andygc

British English
    Yes, "stereotype" is used in scientific writing, but it doesn't mean "model". "Prototype" doesn't mean "model" either. It means the first example of something. I know that the Random House part of the Wordreference dictionary defines it as
    the original or model on which something is based or formed, as the first working model of something to be manufactured on a large scale.
    but that doesn't mean a model of something, it means a model for something.

We cannot tell if your proposed use of "prototype" is correct without a complete sentence with context.

Andygc

British English
    There's far too little background there to understand what meaning is intended. I can, however, say that "prototype" is certainly wrong. On the face of it, no meaning of "stereotype" seems relevant
    • a method of producing cast-metal printing plates from a mould made from a forme of type matter in papier-mâché or some other material
    • the plate so made
    • another word for stereotypy
    • an idea, trait, convention, etc, that has grown stale through fixed usage
    • a set of inaccurate, simplistic generalizations about a group that allows others to categorize them and treat them accordingly

gringanobrasil

English-USA
    That's the problem! It doesn't sound like stereotype is correct, but I've found many scientific articles that use it. Most of these articles, however, are from non-English speaking people.... Some are from Canada, though.

Andygc

British English
    If you give an explanation of what the subject is and 2 or 3 sentences immediately before this one, we might be able to think of a suitable word. Alternatively, it is possible that the word "stereotype" has a technical meaning in the jargon of the specific field of study of the publications in which you have see the word used.

gringanobrasil

English-USA
    Hmm...trying to figure out how to explain it. (I'm not a scientist, so I could also be off here.

Here's an example:
    The UML-GeoFrame data model defines a set of stereotypes which are important for the application classes representation. (This is not my translation, but what was already there.)

It seems like prototype is the better word, but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

Andygc

British English
    No, it's definitely "stereotype". Searching on that text finds many examples as does a search on "stereotypes in gis" It has a specific meaning within the field of Geographic Information Systems. I'm not clear what it means in this context, but there must, somewhere, be a glossary that gives a definition.

Cross-posted. Thank you, Myridon.

< Previous | Next >