stern walnut and old hide

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
What is the meaning of 'after the stern walnut and old hide' in the following sentence :

Back at the station house there was a big white Cadillac parked right across the entrance. Brand-new, fully loaded. Full of puffy black leather and fake wood. It looked like a Vegas whorehouse after the stern walnut and old hide in Charlie Hubble’s Bentley.

Source: Killing Floor by Lee Child

Thank you in advance.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    After one had gotten used to the harsh-looking (stern) dark wood (walnut) and old leather (hide) in Charlie Hubble's car (a Bentley), the Cadillac by comparison looked like a Las Vegas whorehouse.

jacdac

Lebanese
    What is the relation between old leather and hide? What is the meaning of 'hide'. in this context?

Loob

English UK
    See these WR English dictionary noun definitions of "hide", jacdac:

WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2015
    the pelt or skin of one of the larger animals (cow, horse, buffalo, etc) raw or dressed

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers:
    the skin of an animal, esp the tough thick skin of a large mammal, either tanned or raw

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you Loob for this clarification. Is the use of this meaning of hide common ?

Loob

English UK
    Fairly common, I'd say, jacdac. More common than the other (BrE) noun meaning "place of concealment used by hunters, birdwatchers etc"; but not, of course, as common as the verb meaning "conceal (oneself or an object)";).

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with Loob that it's fairly common, but more among rural folks here in the USA. I think the writer was swinging for the fences there.

Instead of "old hide", I might have written "vintage pelt".

< Previous | Next >