stick to one’s guns

ichfrage

Chinese
I have learned he expression “stick to one’s guns” means “keep one’s opinion”.
my questions are:

1) “Stick to one’s guns” is used only for a good result, such as “someone persuade me to change my mind, but I chose to stick to my guns. And finally, it shows that I’m correct”. Or it does not to do with good or bad result.

2) “guns” here must be used in plural form? It seems that I heard someone speaking “stick to one’s gun”.

Thanks

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    1. I suppose that sticking to your guns is generally a good thing. I haven't ever heard the expression used with a negative meaning.

2. Yes. The plural guns is normal: I think that you should stick to your guns.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Sticking to one's guns" is generally a positive expression, but "one's guns," i.e., a stated opinion, might or might be nonsense, e.g. those believing that the world is flat or that man never walked on the moon. :rolleyes:

jucami

English - US
    For me, it is generally positive. I can imagine Good job — you stuck to your guns and eventually convinced him!
    But it’s harder to imagine You need to work on being more open-minded and stop sticking to your guns so much.

Aguas Claras

UK English
    For me, it is generally positive. I can imagine Good job — you stuck to your guns and eventually convinced him!
    But it’s harder to imagine You need to work on being more open-minded and stop sticking to your guns so much.
    You can say, for example, "I tried to persuade him to come on holiday with us but he stuck to his guns and stayed at home."

kentix

English - U.S.
    I agree. It's more an objective description of behavior than a judgement about good or bad.

A different term might be chosen if the speaker thinks the person should have changed.

- I tried to convince him to do it my way but he was too stubborn to change his mind, even though I know I was right.