sticker has been ripped off

sunyaer

Chinese
"The sticker (on the computer) has been ripped off, and I do not know the serial number of the computer."

Is the phrase "ripped off" idiomatic here?

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Ripping off" has two meanings. The one that applies here is to remove it very forcefully and quickly, the way one removes an adhesive bandage from skin in order to reduce the time during which one feels pain.

The sticker was probably not removed that way. It probably wore off, or perhaps was torn off, but there would be no need for force or speed. I'd say "torn off" if you know that it was removed that way. Otherwise, I'd say "worn off," if it came off as the result of using the computer over time, or just "the sticker isn't there any more."

(The second meaning of "rip off" has to do with cheating someone.)

neal41

USA, English
    Without more context we don't know which meaning of 'rip off' is applicable. To rip something off is to steal it. It may be that the sticker was stolen by someone in the past or that it was torn off with sudden force.

I may be that someone ripped off the sticker by ripping it off.:)

sunyaer

Chinese
    "Ripping off" has two meanings. The one that applies here is to remove it very forcefully and quickly, the way one removes an adhesive bandage from skin in order to reduce the time during which one feels pain.

The sticker was probably not removed that way. It probably wore off, or perhaps was torn off, but there would be no need for force or speed. I'd say "torn off" if you know that it was removed that way. Otherwise, I'd say "worn off," if it came off as the result of using the computer over time, or just "the sticker isn't there any more."

(The second meaning of "rip off" has to do with cheating someone.)
    "Would you peel off (pull off) the sticker which is on the computer, as I am holding the monitor with my hands."

Does "peel off (pull off)" work here?

Schmear

Dutch - Belgium
    Could 'ripped off' also mean that something like a cover of a book was torn off? Like when someone accidentally kicked a book laying on the floor and the cover 'rips off'? Is this correct?

< Previous | Next >