sticking a bee up

< Previous | Next >

Kaiapó

Portuguese
Hi everyoneI'm having a hard time with my translation (L. Beukes, The shining girls). It's my first south-african author ever and I don't know to which extent "their" English can be different from AE and BE."... her sister was so outraged that they dared give her an abortion, that she's been writing letters to the city council and generally sticking a bee up everyone's butt." Thanks a lot K

• pob14

American English
    To "have a bee up your butt" is to be annoyed about something, typically so annoyed that you are taking steps to change it.

She's annoying the council so that they will get something done. (What exactly she wants done is not clear from the context.)

pob14

American English
    Just to be clear; the sentence is not saying anything about the sister being annoyed; it's saying she is making the council annoyed so that they will do something.

Myridon

English - US
    generally sticking a bee up everyone's butt
    This part by itself says that she is causing everyone else to become annoyed. She is causing them to have a bee up their butts. It says nothing about whether she is annoyed or not.

Kaiapó

Portuguese
    All right

I should have said "outraged" not "annoyed". But the point was the "bee stuck up everyone's butt".

Thanks for your patience

K

< Previous | Next >