sticking accelerator pedals.

< Previous | Next >

bepleased

Banned
Chinese
Hi,

How to parse the combination---sticking accelerator pedals

May I say--accelerator pedals that sticks in the floor mat?

Thank you!

bepleased
.................................................................................................................

Akio Toyoda was little known in the United States before Toyota's recalls for

background:
The short story so far: the accelerator pedal on selected Toyota or Lexus models could get stuck in the floor mat, thus continuing accelerating the vehicle. It would be very difficult to brake if such a scenario occurs, Toyota said in a release yesterday.

• e2efour

UK English
    The answer is under Background: pedals that get stuck in the floor mat.
    We say
    The pedals stick.
    The pedals stick to XX (but not really the floor mat).
    The pedals get caught up with the floor mat.

sdgraham

USA English
    Hi,

These two statements don't necessarily mean the same thing because accelerator pedals can stick for other reasons as well. e.g. linkage, bearings, etc.

bepleased

Banned
    Chinese
    The answer is under Background: pedals that get stuck in the floor mat.
    We say
    The pedals stick.
    The pedals stick to XX (but not really the floor mat).
    The pedals get caught up with the floor mat.
    Hi,

The two ways provided is nice.

When describing something fixed not move, is "stick to xxx" the same as "stick in xxx"?
    That means : to xxx, accelerator pedals stick (to = according to ?)

Are the "to" of "according to / connected with"?

Thank you.

stand to foot;
    stick to point;
    take to flight
    take to one's heel;
    come to heel;
    apply to;
    attend to;
    belong to;
    agree to = consent to;
    happen to;
    appear to;
    refer to;
    appeal to;
    yield to;

atsamo

Polish
    Hi,

Thank you!

bepleased
    .................................................................................................................

background:
    The short story so far: the accelerator pedal on selected Toyota or Lexus models could get stuck in the floor mat, thus continuing accelerating the vehicle. It would be very difficult to brake if such a scenario occurs, Toyota said in a release yesterday.

I've thought that the expression sticking accelerator pedals is a sort of metaphor describing the car computer failure to convey the driver's pedal "instructions" to the car engine in a proper and adequate way.

JamesM

Hi,

Thank you!

bepleased

background:
    The problem is no longer linked to the floor mat. It is a problem with the accelerator pedal itself and the electronics connected to the pedal.

"Sticking" in this context, to me, means that something that normally has a free range of motion gets stuck in a particular position. It is similar to a door sticking when you try to open it. Normally, the door swings freely. If the door is sticking, it means that its range of motion is hampered for some reason. It is difficult to open the door.

e2efour

UK English
    Hi Bepleased

In stick to XX, the XX is what the pedals could be sticking to/be stuck to. It has nothing to do with according to.

If the pedal suddenly stops moving, we say "the pedal is sticking" (i.e. a sticking pedal) or "the pedal is stuck". You don't have to say what it is sticking to.

Packard

USA, English
    The problem is no longer linked to the floor mat. It is a problem with the accelerator pedal itself and the electronics connected to the pedal.

"Sticking" in this context, to me, means that something that normally has a free range of motion gets stuck in a particular position. It is similar to a door sticking when you try to open it. Normally, the door swings freely. If the door is sticking, it means that its range of motion is hampered for some reason. It is difficult to open the door.
    I agree. The industry has a problem with the phrase, "sudden unintended acceleration". It also has a problem with "driver's error" because it looks like they are blaming someone else for a problem they caused. It is probably why they don't point out that slipping the car into neutral or turning the key to the off position would end the acceleration and allow safe stopping. Audi's problem was always labelled "sudden unintended acceleration" which Audi always blamed on driver error.

I think the more correct terminology for the events that Toyota is facing is "sudden unintended acceleration". But they probably took note of Audi's problem with that same sort of thing that forced them to re-design, re-name, and regroup after the Audi Quatro' problem in 1987.

JamesM

It is probably why they don't point out that slipping the car into neutral or turning the key to the off position would end the acceleration and allow safe stopping.
    This is a bit off-topic, but it does relate to "sticking" accelerator pedals. A woman recently testified in front of a congressional panel that she did indeed move the gear selector to neutral and it did not disengage the engine. She even attempted moving it to reverse to no effect. The car has no key so you can't just turn the key off. It has a button that you have to hold for 3 seconds in order to get it to respond, much like a hard shutdown of a PC. This is probably not the first action that occurs to you as your car continues to accelerate up to 100 mph despite all your efforts.

I do think there was an issue with accelerator pedals getting caught on floor mats but that was a separate issue with a different solution. This new problem is very worrisome. I agree that "sudden unintended acceleration" fits the symptoms perfectly.

< Previous | Next >