stifle - it stifled me of all but one sentence

< Previous | Next >

Tetsui

Español [chileno]
"While it didn't escalate to anything so dramatic, it still stifled me of all but one sentence,"

Sé que stifle quiere decir reprimir, sofocar o ahogar, pero no entiendo bien su uso en esta frase.
Gracias

• I=yo

Spanish - Colombia
    I agree with K. Maybe: ...y hizo que apenas pude decir una sola frase / unas pocas palabras.
    ... e hizo que apenas pudiera decir una sola frase. For future reference: Note that in Spanish, the conjunction "e" its used instead of "y" when the next word starts with "i" or "hi" except before "hie" (leones y hienas) or where it begins a question. (¿Y Inés?)
    Pudiera would be the best tense to reflect that this action happened in the past, and sola emphasize the meaning of the whole sentence.

Tetsui

Español [chileno]
    Oh, I=yo, no sabía que en el uso de "e" hubiera una excepción para "hie" e interrogaciones.
    Gracias por sus respuestas. No sabía como encajar bien esa palabra. Ahora sí x3

gengo

American English
    ... e hizo que apenas pudiera decir una sola frase. For future reference: Note that in Spanish, the conjunction "e" its used instead of "y" when the next word starts with "i" or "hi" except before "hie" (leones y hienas) or where it begins a question. (¿Y Inés?)
    Pudiera would be the best tense to reflect that this action happened in the past, and sola emphasize the meaning of the whole sentence.
    Yes, I'm well aware of the rule about "e." When I first typed the sentence, there was no "y," and I later decided to add it, but didn't notice at that point that the next word required a change. As for "sola," I'm not sure what you mean, since I already used that word in my translation.

As to "pudiera," I'm not sure why the subjunctive is needed here. I see over half a million Google hits for "apenas pude," so what is the trigger for using the subjunctive in this case?

I=yo

Spanish - Colombia
    Yes, I'm well aware of the rule about "e." When I first typed the sentence, there was no "y," and I later decided to add it, but didn't notice at that point that the next word required a change. As for "sola," I'm not sure what you mean, since I already used that word in my translation.

As to "pudiera," I'm not sure why the subjunctive is needed here. I see over half a million Google hits for "apenas pude," so what is the trigger for using the subjunctive in this case?
    I think I presumed the character fears the situation to be true, in which case the subjunctive would be appropriate. But I might be wrong. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

< Previous | Next >