Still can't post in 'Cultural Discussions'

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by [∞], Jan 15, 2017.

1. [∞]

[∞] Senior Member

London
    English - England (RP-ish)
    Hi,

The "Why can't I post in this forum?" thread says that the only requirement for posting in existing threads in the Cultural Discussions forum is 30 posts elsewhere on the site. I've made more than 30 posts, but if I go onto a Cultural Discussions thread, it says that I do not have the privileges required to respond. Why is that?

Thanks.

2. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    hi [∞], and a slightly belated welcome! :)

It's normal that you wouldn't be able to create a new thread in Cultural Discussions, because the CD forum is "closed" for new threads. As I understand it, you should, however, be able to reply to an existing thread in CD once you have 30 posts to your name. It seems you have hit that threshold, so I would have expected you to be able to post a reply... provided the thread you were trying to reply in is "open." If, however, the particular thread that you are interested in is "not open for further replies," it will say so at the top (e.g., see the '30 posts to your name' thread at my link above). And in that case, you will see the following message in small font at the bottom, replacing the normal reply box:
    Can you confirm that you were trying to reply in an open CD thread? If so, have you tried logging out and logging back in again?

3. [∞]

[∞] Senior Member

London
    Thanks :) yes, I was definitely trying to reply in an open thread, but that was the message I saw. I'll try logging out and logging in though.

4. [∞]

[∞] Senior Member

London
    Sorry for necroposting but I tried again (after having logged out and logged back in) and it still says "You have insufficient privileges to respond" at the bottom of the screen. Is there any way someone could change this manually? I'm now a "Senior Member" so I would've thought I'd have the required privileges...

5. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi,
    Please wait a couple more months. You need to have spent a minimum 6 months in the forum before becoming able to post in CD. Sorry for the trouble, but that restriction was put in place to avoid people joining the forum only to post in CD (which is not the main purpose of WR) and using it as a chat board.

6. [∞]

[∞] Senior Member

London
    Oh, ok, I didn't know it was based on duration of membership as well as post count. Sorry.