Still I am not clear where I was precise and why you call me

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Grammar Explorer, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Grammar Explorer Member

HINDI
    In a conversation I want to use the following sentence. Is it ok?

Still I am not clear where I was precise and why you call me as a perfectionist.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    The sentence is a bit odd, GE; it's a bit like saying, "Would you tell me precisely why you think I'm too precise!" Perhaps "I'm not clear why you call me a perfectionist" would suffice. Do not add, "... and please tell me your evidence, giving perfectly chosen and precise examples"!

3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Can you explain in what circumstances you'd use this sentence?

4. Grammar Explorer Member

HINDI
    I was chatting with one of my friends. Suddenly he said "You seem to be a perfectionist." I ask him "why?". He said "Due to your preciseness."

Then I want to say "Still I am not clear where I was precise and why you call me as a perfectionist."

5. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    Still I am not clear where I was precise and why you call me as a perfectionist. :cross:

Still, I am not clear where I was precise and why you call me a perfectionist. Grammatically correct, but very formal for a conversation with a friend. Also, it's not clear why you would need to say "still."

6. Grammar Explorer Member

HINDI
    He tried to make understand several times that why he called me a perfectionist.

7. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    "He tried to make understand several times that why he called me a perfectionist." :cross:
    "He tried to make understand several times why he called me a perfectionist." :tick:

Okay, then "still" would make sense. This is the first time you have mentioned that he had tried several times to explain the matter.

8. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    OK. "I'm still not clear why you call me a perfectionist.":tick:

You do see the paradox or humor in saying, "Can you give me some precise examples of why you think I'm so precise?" Or, "I'm still not perfectly clear as to why you call me a perfectionist."