still others

LQZ

Mandarin
Activists and dissidents have increasingly been taken to secret detention facilities and held illegally, unreachable by family members or lawyers. others have been effectively locked in their homes. still others, like Mr Ai, appear to have been ordered not to speak publicly about their situations. New York Times (subscription, not free)

Dear all,

Does "still others" mean "quiet others"? If not, could you please explain to me? Thanks.

LQZ

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, LQZ. "Still others" here doesn't mean "quiet others". It means "others beyond those 'others' already mentioned". "Still" here is an adverb that means something like "in addition" or "beyond this". Here's a definition from M-W* that may help:
    e : in addition : beyond this <six or seven hundred men ... and occasionally more still -- Walt Whitman> <still another example of cultural misunderstanding -- A.A.Hill>

"Still" is a word that has many different functions. M-W's unabridged version offers nine definitions for the word, so it's not surprising that this particular use confused you.

*"still." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.

I see that Copyright and Boozer have already ridden in to the rescue. I agree that "yet" is another good synonym.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Thanks, Mr Copyright and boozer. :)

One more question: does "still" or "yet' mean used to introduce a fact, situation, or quality that is surprising after what you have just said here?

LQZ

Mandarin
    Hello, LQZ. "Still others" here doesn't mean "quiet others". It means "others beyond those 'others' already mentioned". "Still" here is an adverb that means something like "in addition" or "beyond this". Here's a definition from M-W* that may help:
    e : in addition : beyond this <six or seven hundred men ... and occasionally more still -- Walt Whitman> <still another example of cultural misunderstanding -- A.A.Hill>

"Still" is a word that has many different functions. M-W's unabridged version offers nine definitions for the word, so it's not surprising that this particular use confused you.

*"still." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.

I see that Copyright and Boozer have already ridden in to the rescue. I agree that "yet" is another good synonym.
    Aha! I got it. Thanks, olwman, Copyright and boozer. :)

< Previous | Next >