still Vs Yet

manan

español
Hi to everyone.

I'm not sure about these two sentences, I mean, I'm sure the first one is correct but not sure if the second one can be used in the same context.

I still don't know.
I don't know yet.

I have the same problem with:

I haven't told him yet.
I still haven't told him.

Which is the proper one? I'm quite confused...

Thanks a lot guys!

• manan

español
    I have already read those links, but no one had a response to my question..
    I'm still confused..... can anyone give me a real answer? PLEASE?

Read my question carefully please....

HappyPinkEgg

English-USA
    As far as if they mean the same thing- "I still don't know" and "I don't know yet" do not mean the same thing. I don't know yet implies that you will know at some point, whereas I still don't know implies that you have been waiting to know and might not know.

To me, yet indicates that at some point it will happen- I haven't told him yet, but I will be telling him.

Still implies that it's more of a process- I still haven't told him and I don't know if I want to tell him.

I hope this makes sense to you :)

manan

español
    As far as if they mean the same thing- "I still don't know" and "I don't know yet" do not mean the same thing. I don't know yet implies that you will know at some point, whereas I still don't know implies that you have been waiting to know and might not know.

To me, yet indicates that at some point it will happen- I haven't told him yet, but I will be telling him.

Still implies that it's more of a process- I still haven't told him and I don't know if I want to tell him.

I hope this makes sense to you :)
    Thank you so much! It's so clear now....

aztlaniano

English (Aztlán, US sector)
    They are all correct.
    Las dos oraciones con "yet" sugieren que tienes 1) la expectativa de enterarte en un futuro próximo y 2) la intención de contárselo dentro de poco.
    Con "still" no me parece asegurado.

Edit - veo que mientras yo hablaba por teléfono, HappyPink ya lo tenía solucionado. Bueno, que sirva de confirmación.

Maximus07

English-U.S.A.
    The book answer, I don't know. If you said this in conversation nobody would think twice about it. This is widely used I am not sure what the gramatarians would say however :)

< Previous | Next >