Golazo

english
This appears on a transcript of grades from Germany

In the clarification of the abbreviations at the end of the transcript it says:

SR = stiller rücktritt

What does that mean?

• Frank78

German
    What do you mean by this? Do you mean that you do notify someone last minute, but without officially canceling?

No, you just don't go to the exam without telling your professor for example. A "stiller Rücktritt" is not rated as "failing the exam" but is treated like you're missing the exam due to an illness.

For example when you have a car accident on your way to the exam and there's simply no time to inform someone.

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Is it still a “stiller Rücktritt” if you decide well in advance that you’re not going to go and just don’t tell anyone?

elroy

Thanks!

In English, you could say “no-show,” but that doesn’t specify whether or not you’re given a failing grade.

bearded

you don't appear at an exam at short notice
    Sorry, I have the same doubt as was expressed by elroy in #3.
    Even after your explanations I cannot understand what you meant by ''at short notice''.
    Apparently, ''you don't appear at an exam'' is sufficient. There is no notice at all, right?
    Did you simply mean ''without previous notice''?

Last edited:

elroy

I think @Frank78 is saying that the assumption is that you didn’t notify anyone because you couldn’t, because of a last-minute emergency, but in practice that’s not actually monitored and they just take your word for it.

Is that right, @Frank78?