Stingray

< Previous | Next >

cmc76

US
Italy
How do you translate the word "stingray"? It's a fish but I can't find anything in the dictionary. Thank you for your help.

• Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Dovrebbe essere appunto la 'pastinaca', o 'dasiatide' (Dasyatis pastinaca), o 'trigone', pesce con il corpo a forma di rombo e la coda provvista di un aculeo velenifero, diffuso nel Mediterraneo e nell’Atlantico orientale (per noi una 'razza', sì). Puoi vederla qui. E' quella che è recentemente costata la vita al 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin (link).

gatto

Italian-Italy
    I guess we need some disambiguation here.
    I assume that you are talking about the marine fish, but still so, depending upon which 'sting ray' you are dealing with, I would suggest 'pastinaca' or simply 'razza' (ray).
    If you have the scientific name of the fish, it would help a lot, or even if you can just specify where does it come from (sea or freshwater, S.America or wherever else...) it would be very useful.
    Hope it helps :)

AshleySarah

English - N.Ireland
    Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but this is something that has been bugging me since Steve Irwin's death (he was known as the Crocodile Hunter). At the time, I looked in the dictionary for the Italian word for stingray and found pastinaca. Later, I found that pastinaca meant parsnip and that I should have said "razza". Naturally, I was very embarrassed to be told that I'd said (in my very poor Italian) that Steve Irwin had been killed by a parsnip. Can anyone enlighten me please? :eek:

anglomania1

UK English
    You mean I've been torturing myself all this time for no reason? Why didn't I just Google it? Thanks Alex. I'll sleep tonight! :D
    Don't worry, it's not just you! I thought pastinaca meant parsnip too! Though Italians don't know what it is!!
    "Razza" is the fish we call "skate" so I'm not sure it's the same thing as stingray (pastinaca comune in my dictionary)!!
    "Ray" (without the "sting") seems to be translated as "razza"!
    Confusing, isn't it?:eek:
    Anglo

AshleySarah

English - N.Ireland
    Don't worry, it's not just you! I thought pastinaca meant parsnip too! Though Italians don't know what it is!!
    "Razza" is the fish we call "skate" so I'm not sure it's the same thing as stingray (pastinaca comune in my dictionary)!!
    "Ray" (without the "sting") seems to be translated as "razza"!
    Confusing, isn't it?:eek:
    Anglo
    Sure is. I'm relieved to hear I'm not losing it! So what is the common Italian word for parsnip if it's not pastinaca?

Hermocrates

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    As mentioned before, "stingrays" can be either called "pastinache" or "trigoni" in Italian (the two terms being synonyms and interchangeable)

So, personally I would opt for "trigone" to avoid any confusion with the plant (parsnip).

Hermocrates

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    and razza as well? (people have suggested this, too, do you not agree?)
    The only problem is that "razza" is not exactly a synonym: "trigoni" are "razze", but there are also "razze" which are not "trigoni".

"Razze" simply means "rays". It is a generic term.

< Previous | Next >