stingy (in portion)

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Attached is a standard Filet-O-Fish at MacDonald's in Hong Kong. You can see it has one sad little strip of cheese and the fish fillet is a bit on the small size. I was wondering if it's idiomatic to say the Filet-O-Fish is stingy in portion and overpriced. Is leaving out "in portion" acceptable? I want to make the sentence parallel.

Attachments

• owlman5

English-US
    I'd certainly understand "stingy in portion" although I don't recall ever hearing it before. You could also say that MacDonald's is stingy with the fish in its fish sandwich, which is probably how I'd say it.

I think you should keep "in portion" in your version. Saying that the Filet-O-Fish is stingy and overpriced sounds weird to me. When I use "stingy" alone after a noun, I mean that whatever the noun refers to is being stingy: He is stingy. That company is stingy with its benefits. Sandwiches can't be stingy, in my view. They'd have to have sentience to do that.

Note that the WR dictionary accepts the meaning "scanty" for "stingy". If you also accept that definition, then sandwiches can be stingy. :)

Last edited:

Elwintee

England English
    I would say 'the portion control of the Filet-O-Fish is stingy'. That term is generally used in the UK restaurant business, I believe. I prefer it to 'in portion'.

< Previous | Next >