stingy

< Previous | Next >

AlmostEnglish

Polish
Ok, so my word of the day is "stingy". I've heard it used in a way I don't think it's meant to be used, but also I don't know how it could be replaced in such a situation.
Can you use it to describe a person who focuses too much on the details that are wrong when the big picture is ok?

Here's what usually happens: you say something and a person says you're wrong, but you only made a tiny mistake. You do something and the person complains it wasn't done well- again you only overlooked a minor detail. So essentially the person always has a problem and has to point it out at any possible occasion. I'm pretty sure we all know this kind of people; not sure how to explain it better, though. Question: can you call that person "stingy"? If not, what's the word?

I have asked a friend and all he said is that would be a wife... Anybody with a better idea? :D

• JustKate

Picky is very good. If you prefer a few more syllables - and sometimes I do - nitpicky or persnickety would work as well (at least in AmE). Stingy won't work, though it is a cool word. It means "unwilling to give or spend," so that isn't applicable.

AlmostEnglish

Polish
    Wow, thanks a lot, guys! That really helps. I've been looking for the right word for a looong time now, never knew how to find it and then the stingy thing really confused me. Thank you :)

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Inasmuch as the person is being uncharitable or niggardly, it's conceivable that they're (being) stingy, but as we've seen, 'stinginess' strongly connotes with ideas of thrift and miserliness.

< Previous | Next >