stint/job

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Do stint and job share the same meaning? I can't tell the difference between them.
Can I say that "stint" = "the job in/at XXX(particular place or particular time.)"?

For example, " During his stint with IBM he successfully led many multi million dollar , multi year engagements with some of the India's largest corporations across industries."
Can I change it to "During his job with IBM...." ?

• ewie

English English
    Hello RG. Well they can share the same meaning but they don't necessarily. A stint is a period of time spent doing anything: a stint at university, a stint in prison, a stint with IBM, etc.
    It seems to me that stint is a rather informal word: I probably wouldn't use it in your example ~ I'd just say time:
    During his time at IBM he successfully [etc.]

I'm not sure that you can refer to a job as if it were a period of time: During his job at IBM just sounds a little ... odd to me.

Last edited:

MenteECuoreProgressista

English - United States
    "Stint" means "A length of time spent in a particular way." In this case, the stint referred to is the time spent working at IBM, but the use of the word "stint" is not inherently job-related, it is in general time-related.

< Previous | Next >