stint

< Previous | Next >

STINGGUY

Español
"And it was really remarkable that my father made a success of that smal business
just by stint of hard work, persistence, commitment, and a belief that he could".

The word "stint" was not familiar to me, so it has been looked up. However right
the phrase sounds, it oozes a whiff of ungrammatical use.
Can You give me a hand?
Thanks.

• WyomingSue

English--USA
    The usual phrase is "by dint of hard work":
    WR dictionary dint /dɪnt/ n
    • by dint of ⇒ by means or use of: by dint of hard work
    Probably your unstated source made a mistake. (Normally you should include your source when asking a question about something you've read or heard.)
    Welcome to the forum.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Yes, it seems to be the writer's confusion of several phrases:

by dint of hard work [= by means of hard work, using hard work]
    a stint of hard work [= a period or session of hard work]
    unstinting hard work [= unceasing hard work, not easing up]

Egmont

English - U.S.
    This is from a transcript of a speech by Hilary Rodham Clinton, then U.S. Secretary of State, in April 2010. It was prepared from a recording of what she said, as evidenced by the appearance of "(inaudible)" when the transcriber couldn't figure out a word, not from a written version of her speech. She indeed appears to say stint, not dint, at this point (about 3:10 in). However, any speaker is likely to make minor errors such as this. I agree that it should be dint.

(To the original poster: (a) Welcome to WRF; (b) Please note WyomingSue's suggestion that you include your source. Aside from it being a forum rule to do that, it's really helpful.)

STINGGUY

Español
    The source is the Spanish "corresponding" translation given to me by a friend o mine: "Y era admirable que mi padre haya convertido esa pequeña empresa en un éxito con el simple trabajo arduo, la persistencia, el compromiso y la convicción que podía".
    Pardon me for not having included my source.

< Previous | Next >