stints

Jagoda

Bilingual polski-English
Hey everyone,

I'd like to ask what's the meaning of the word stint in the sentence below (is it the share of work or the period of time?):

After stints with a few vanguard figures of British high-tech, he decided to break out on his own. (The person we are talking about is an architect.)

Thanks a lot!

• Tabitha

Australia English
    Hi
    A stint is a period of time spent doing something. For example, a person who was in the army for 3 years, could be said to have done a stint in the army or a three-year stint in the army.
    In your example the person spent some time working with different leading hi-tech architects before working for himself.
    Maybe someone else will be able to explain it more clearly.

Joelline

American English
    I agree wtih Tabitha and think she did a great job explaining "stint." In fact, the only point that I would add is that, generally, a "stint" is an unbroken or uninterrupted "period of time spent doing something." So, to use Tabitha's example, the person who spends a three-year stint in the army was there for 3 consecutive years. If he or she was in the army for 2 years, and dropped out for a year, and then returned for another year, we would not say that he or she had done a three-year stint.

Die Schwarze Katze

Español (Spain)
    Hi! I hope you can help me. I want to know if "stints" in this context means "dos veces" (two times). We're talking about an ex-convict.

It's a serie. The police have a match after entering a DNA sample of a murder in a database. When he sees the report, the police say "Says here he did a couple of stints for robbery and firearms possession. "

Thank you very much.

Die Schwarze Katze

Español (Spain)
    Hi! I hope you can help me. I want to know if "stints" in this context means "dos veces" (two times). We're talking about an ex-convict.

It's a serie. The police have a match after entering a DNA sample of a murder in a database. When he sees the report, the police say "Says here he did a couple of stints for robbery and firearms possession. "

Thank you very much.
    "two times in prision" I mean.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Yes. He served two sentences at different times. One was for robbery and the other was for possession of a firearm.