Stipend

Torwarter

Turkish, Turkey
Dear users

I have some doubts about the usage of 'stipend'. Could someone explain me the nuance which differs this word from salary or income? I await your comments.

• :Bruno

Croatia, Croatian
    Stipend is pay for non-regular work, like one-off or occasional jobs.

Salary is a fixed pay for a regular post, tied to your position, unlike wages, which depend on the amount of work you do.

Income is not pay. It is the amount of money you earn, irrespective of the source. It can be money from the lottery, gifts, interest payments, dividend etc. as well as from pay.

Teafrog

UK English
    My immediate thought was "a small sum of money", then I checked my Oxford Dictionnary:
    "fixed regular allowance or salary, especially paid to a clergyman" … :)"from Latin 'stipendium' > stips = wages, pendere = to pay"

Note: an allowance is a small regular sum of money paid to someone, such as a student, worker, etc.

I hope this helps :)

:Bruno

Croatia, Croatian
    My immediate thought was "a small sum of money", then I checked my Oxford Dictionnary:
    "fixed regular allowance or salary, especially paid to a clergyman" … :)"from Latin 'stipendium' > stips = wages, pendere = to pay"

Note: an allowance is a small regular sum of money paid to someone, such as a student, worker, etc.

I hope this helps :)

Merriam Webster says: "a fixed sum of money paid periodically for services or to defray expenses". Looks like I was wrong about on-off and occasional jobs.

Brioche

Australia English
    The emolument paid to members of the clergy is called a stipend.

There are also "stipendiary magistrates", who are paid a stipend to do their job.

The amount of money paid to a student who has won a scholarship can also be called a stipend.