Stone in costume jewllery

< Previous | Next >

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
Hello

A: How do you like this bracelet?
B: I don't know. It has too many stones.

Is the word "stone" correct here? I want to refer to the shiny carved diamond-like things that are glued to fake jewelry, cheap jewellery that girls buy at malls and stores. Or does "stone" refer to expensive gems only?

Thank you

• The Newt

English - US
    "Stones" is fine but you may be thinking of rhinestones. "A rhinestone, paste or diamante is a diamond simulant originally made from rock crystal but since the 19th century from crystal glass or polymers such as acrylic."

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    Yes, exactly. That's what I meant.
    Thank you.
    And do girls use the word "rhinestone" frequently? Is it common among girls and young women?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Yes, exactly. That's what I meant.
    Thank you.
    And do girls use the word "rhinestone" frequently? Is it common among girls and young women?
    I've never heard "rhinestone" use outside country music contexts.
    The girls and young women of my acquaintance would refer to these shiny carved diamond-like things as stones, or indeed, diamonds - or the appropriate term for the colour of the thing.

Truffula

English - USA
    I think "rhinestone" is actually used by younger women to refer to the things; older people sometimes call them that but also "paste" or "costume jewelry" sometimes.

They put them on their face and nails as well as their jewelry.

Examples: This rhinestone makeup tutorial proves there's nothing more festive than gluing stuff to your face

Best Nail Art Blog: Best Nail Art Designs With Rhinestone 2016

No guarantees these were written by younger women (I looked at a blog post about one and it was written by a woman maybe 40 years old given her work history goes back 20 years on her LinkedIn page) but they are aimed at younger women readers, I think.

emanko

Arabic- Egyptian
    I've never heard "rhinestone" use outside country music contexts.
    The girls and young women of my acquaintance would refer to these shiny carved diamond-like things as stones, or indeed, diamonds - or the appropriate term for the colour of the thing.
    Thank you.
    Do you mean they would call them "blue/red/green diamond" even if they are fake? Does that mean that "diamond" also refers to fake stones?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I am further informed, by the aforesaid expert's mother, that although "rhinestone" is not part of her active vocabulary, her daughter is an acknowledged expert in the terminology used by online clothing and jewellery sellers.

< Previous | Next >