stood as posts

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
There in the mist, enormous, majestic, silent, and terrible, stood the Great Wall of China. Solitarily, with the indifference of nature of herself, it crept up the mountain side and slipped down to the depth of the valley. Menacingly, the grim watchtowers, stark and foursquare, at due intervals stood as their posts. Ruthlessly, for it was built at the cost of a million lives and each one of the those great gray stones has been stained with the bloody tears of the captive and the outcast, it forged its dark way through a sea of rugged mountains.

I don't get the meaning of "stood as their posts". Does it mean the watchtowers stood there with the duty of guarding"?

Last edited:
  • ewie

English English
    It looks like it might be a typo to me, RG: stood at their posts would be a lot easier to interpret.

(Also, your sentence has great spelt wrong twice ~ are you sure you've copied this correctly?:))

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    It looks like it might be a typo to me, RG: stood at their posts would be a lot easier to interpret.

(Also, your sentence has great spelt wrong twice ~ are you sure you've copied this correctly?:))
    Thanks, ewie, I have corrected it.

It's better to understand the meaning of "stood at the posts"now.
    "Post" mean A place to which someone is assigned for duty, right?

ewie

English English
    Yes: the grim watchtowers ... stood at their posts = the grim watchtowers stood in the positions assigned to them to stand guard:)

< Previous | Next >