stood vs. standing

< Previous | Next >

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
I've recently found quite a few instances of "was stood" used for "was standing":

"He was stood in an ill-painted backyard next to a couple of beer barrels"
(from a book review in the UK newspaper The Independent)

I checked in Fowler's, who gives examples from novelist Arnold Bennett and others and suggests it's a regional BE usage. He writes that "its history seems to have gone unrecorded in the OED" and that "its existence in modern regional use is not in question but its precise distribution has not been established".
I was wondering if it's only used in BE and if it is becoming more widespread, as I've found several examples in British newspapers and novels.

• suzi br

English / England
    Ah , Arnold Bennett writes about the area in which I live, so I guess I am used to hearing this - but even so - I would not encouarge my students to use it in a piece of formal writing.

JamesM

In American English, I would interpret "was stood" as applying to placing an object in a certain location: "The statue was stood in the corner of the garden by the workmen." It is an action, not a location, if that makes sense. The workmen moved the statue and placed it in the corner of the garden in an upright position. "The statue stood in the corner of the garden" simply indicates its location.

Loob

English UK
    Hi giovannino

You might want to take a look at this thread, which discusses the very similar issue of "was sat"/"was sitting".

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    What about this quote from a BBC sports reporter:

Whether it was when he was batting for England, or while he was stood next to him at Essex, Graham Gooch could not help but marvel at the supreme talent of Mark Waugh as a slip catcher

Is this different from the regional use of "stood" for "standing"? Is it to be interpreted as "was positioned"?

EDIT: Thanks for the link, Loob:)

< Previous | Next >