Stop being sedentary

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Does "stop being sedentary" meaning "to start doing physical exercises to improve your health when you are sedentary (spending a lot of time sitting down and not moving)'' sound natural/correct in the examples I created below?

a. I decided to stop being sedentary by joining a gym. My doctor said that it'd help a lot.
b. If you don't stop being sedentary, John, you will have serious health problems. You're still so young. 45 years old! You're a baby!

Thank you in advance!

• Packard

USA, English
    Or "I decided to stop being such a sedentary person and I joined a gym. "

(Your version is better.)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    a. I decided to stop being so sedentary by joining a gym. My doctor said that it'd help a lot.
    b. If you don't stop being so sedentary, John, you will have serious health problems. You're still so young. 45 years old! You're a baby!
    (b) is fine.
    (a) is not.
    First of all, joining a gym is not, in itself, an activity. OK, I accept that it probably suggests intention to become more active, but the action of 'joining a gym' is most likely a sedentary activity!
    (a) would be much better expressed as 'I decided to stop being so sedentary so I joined a gym. ...' Here, the intention to actually attend the gym and take some additional exercise is strongly implied.

Packard

USA, English
    (b) is fine.
    (a) is not.
    First of all, joining a gym is not, in itself, an activity. OK, I accept that it probably suggests intention to become more active, but the action of 'joining a gym' is most likely a sedentary activity!
    (a) would be much better expressed as 'I decided to stop being so sedentary so I joined a gym. ...' Here, the intention to actually attend the gym and take some additional exercise is strongly implied.
    Indeed. In fact many gyms sell low priced membership in hopes that you do not attend, and they do all they can to discourage your attendance once you signed on, frequently by giving too hard first workouts that leave you so sore that you never come back.

He could change "decided" to "intend" and all would be fine.

Xavier da Silva

In fact many gyms sell low priced membership in hopes that you do not attend, and they do all they can to discourage your attendance once you signed on, frequently by giving too hard first workouts that leave you so sore that you never come back.
    It happens in Brazil as well! People are the same anywhere.:(

< Previous | Next >