stop doing/ to do something

< Previous | Next >

annief88

Poland Polish
hi everybody,

I have a problem with a sentence:

"You know that on my way home I stopped to visit/ visiting my aunt in Perth".
I believe that the right answer is to visit but in my grammar book there is only stop doing sth. What do you suggest?

and another one:
"My father died three years ago. My mother has been_____ for ages."
(dying, dead, died, death, die)?

Thanks a lot for help
Annie

• Conchita57

Spanish - Spain/French - Switzerland
    1. The option that makes sense is:

"You know that on my way home I stopped to visit my aunt in Perth".

To stop doing something means that you are not going to do it any more.

2. "My father died three years ago. My mother has been dead for ages." (You could say 'My mother has been dying for ages' if she is not dead yet and very, very sick -- it would be terribly sad, though!).

Kevman

USA English
    I believe that the right answer is to visit but in my grammar book there is only stop doing sth. What do you suggest?
    Try thinking about this part in isolation, Annie:
    You know that on my way home I stopped
    Then you can see that what I stopped doing was traveling home. Why did I stop? To visit my aunt in Perth.

Note also Definition 8 for the verb stop in the WR Dictionary:
    interrupt a trip; "we stopped at Aunt Mary's house"; "they stopped for three days in Florence"

gaer

US-English
    hi everybody,

1) stop doing something.

I stopped smoking.
    I stopped eating too much.
    I stopped exercising.

2) stop to do something.

I stopped to eat.
    I stopped to visit my family.
    I stopped to get something to drink.

Gaer

CindyLoo5546

English and United States
    hi everybody,

The correct answer, as everyone else has explained, would be "to visit." I must admit, I am a bit perplexed about this question. You have said that you are aware that the correct answer is "to visit" but that it is not an option. Would you mind clearing up what the options are then?

gaer

US-English
    The correct answer, as everyone else has explained, would be "to visit." I must admit, I am a bit perplexed about this question. You have said that you are aware that the correct answer is "to visit" but that it is not an option. Would you mind clearing up what the options are then?
    I believe Annie was confused because her book only mentioned "stop doing sth." but did not show "stop to do sth.", which has a different meaning and uses a different structure.

< Previous | Next >