stop pulling in

< Previous | Next >

Priss

Ecuador/ Spanish
Hello!
I don't understand the meaning of "pulling in" here... Would you help me please?
It comes from the context in which a girl reads minds, and when she read her boyfriend's mind (she didn't mean it), she was a bit ashamed and scared, because she didn't know how he would react:
A, is her boyfriend, and B is her.

This is the conversation:
A: What are you sorry for?
B: "I didn't meant to"
A: "Read my mind? Stop it"
B: "I will. I'm sorry".
A: "No, damn it, Tory. Stop pulling in. Stop anticipating my reactions. Did it ever occur to you that there might be times a man wouldn't mind having a woman read his mind?"

Thank you. :)

• JamesM

I would take it to mean "stop withdrawing from me" or "stop pulling back inside yourself." I think "pulling back" would make more sense here, but it might be a reference to pulling her mind back in, since she can "extend" her mind to read another's mind.

Priss

Ecuador/ Spanish
    Well, she was afraid, she had had a very hard childhood, her father always hited her because she had that gift of reading minds. So, when she read her boyfriend's mind, she was scarred he could hit her, but he wasn't complaining, he thought it was good to have a girlfriend that reads minds...
    So he said:
    A: "No, damn it, Tory. Stop pulling in. Stop anticipating my reactions. Did it ever occur to you that there might be times a man wouldn't mind having a woman read his mind?"
    B: "It's an inexcusable breach of privacy".
    A: Yeah, Yeah. You want to snatch a stray thought out of my head, I'll let you know if it pisses me off. You know I love you and I don't care about that.

So pull in in this context would be like, stop pressuring me?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Upon further review, it makes more sense that he is indeed asking her not to hold herself back, as a person who has been abused might do. He is saying, in effect: "Don't be afraid of my reaction, don't assume that my reaction will be negative or that I will be angry."

She is "pulling in" in, verbally or emotionally, in the same way that one recoils when anticipating a blow or as a tortoise pulls itself into its shell.

I don't believe that "pulling in" is a request for Tory to cease pressuring him. If anything, she is avoiding him or acting in a distant or, as JamesM said, withdrawn manner. She fears his reaction, so she tries to shield or protect herself. He tells her that her prediction is inaccurate; her prediction was not based on reading his mind, apparently, and is more likely based on her experiences with her father.

Priss

Ecuador/ Spanish
    Thank you.... Thank you for everything, for such good explanations.
    Bibliolept, it's very nice indeed to meet you here. :)

< Previous | Next >