stopping at quota 2

< Previous | Next >
Hi, I have a doubt about the use of the word quota. In Italian there is this "funny" way to use it to say for example when you decide to stop to have babies and you would say "Me and my husband decided to stop at quota two" . Meaning "at the quantity of two".
Can you say it in Engligh too?
p.s. I'm writing an essay for college..

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "Me and my husband decided to stop at quota two" This is not an idiomatic use of quota in English, you could say, "My husband and I decided that, at two children, we had reached our quota."

NB it is not Me and my husband, because you would not say, "Me decided to stop at two."

yes sorry for the "my husband and me", very huge mistake!

The actual sentence in my essay was "My husband's dream and mine was to have at least......ect ect....then we decided to stop at quota two"
    So is "My husband's dream and mine" right?

And thank a lot for the answer about the quota, I think I will change it that way and say ..."then we decided that, at two children, we had reached our quota"
    Unless you can tell me about other more common ways to say it....

sdgraham

USA English
    Unless you're trying to be funny, I would not use "quota" unless a quota (or limit) is actually imposed by some outside authority.

There's a simple solution ... and simple is usually best.

"My husband's dream and mine was to have at least......ect ect etc. etc....then we decided to stop at quota two"

< Previous | Next >