Stories are a haunted genre; hardly a debased kind of story,...

< Previous | Next >

BetterWorld

Vietnamese
Hello everybody,

I encountered this sentence and I can't understand what it is saying.

Stories are a haunted genre; hardly a debased kind of story, the ghost story is almost the paradigm of the form, and goose bumps was undoubtedly one effect that Poe had in mind when he wrote about how stories work.

I believe that my issue lies in the first phrase: "Stories are a haunted genre."

My questions are:

1. Why do the author not say: "Ghost stories are a haunted genre." instead?

2. What is the name of the grammar structure in this phrase: "hardly a debased kind of story,..."?

I appreciate your time and thank you very much.

BetterWorld

• Korisnik116

Croatian
    "Ghost stories are a haunted genre" would make a witty equivoque, but that's not what the author of those sentences is trying to communicate (mainly because it doesn't make sense to sprinkle your text with random tautologies), although they are employing clever language.

What they're saying is that some stories feature ghosts as characters (haunted = frequented by ghosts) — and, by extension, fall within the ghost story subgenre, the concept/understanding of which the author then expounds on.

The "structure" you're enquiring about in your second question would be an introductory clause (owl.english.purdue.edu), I believe, and they come in all manner of shapes and sizes. :>

BetterWorld

Vietnamese
    "Ghost stories are a haunted genre" would make a witty equivoque, but that's not what the author of those sentences is trying to communicate (mainly because it doesn't make sense to sprinkle your text with random tautologies), although they are employing clever language.

What they're saying is that some stories feature ghosts as characters (haunted = frequented by ghosts) — and, by extension, fall within the ghost story subgenre, the concept/understanding of which the author then expounds on.

The "structure" you're enquiring about in your second question would be an introductory clause (owl.english.purdue.edu), I believe, and they come in all manner of shapes and sizes. :>
    Thank you Korisnik for your reply,

I still don't get the meaning of the phrase "Ghost stories are a haunted genre". Could you please elaborate on its meaning/structure a little more? What do you mean by saying that adding the word "Ghost" before "stories" make the meaning of the phrase change? For me, the meaning of the phrase seems to be unchanged and much clearer.

Thank you for your help,

BetterWorld

< Previous | Next >