Stormtrooper

< Previous | Next >

Hotmale

Polish
Hello,

can you, please, tell me what the stormtrooper is wearing? The description says that it's a costume, but a costume feels strange in this context.

Stormtrooper

Thank you

• Loob

English UK
    Hi Hotmale

I'd call it "body armour" (or "full body armour"), I think.

sdgraham

USA English
    If you're visiting a web site created to serve a group of people who dress up in costumes in order to play mythical creatures, you should not be surprised to see costumes available for sale as "costumes." It doesn't matter whether the costumes represent storm troopers from Star Wars, Klingons, King Kong or Lady Godiva.

costume /ˈkɒstjuːm/n
    • a complete style of dressing, including all the clothes, accessories, etc, worn at one time, as in a particular country or period; dress
    • old-fashioned a woman's suit
    • a set of clothes, esp unusual or period clothes, worn in a play by an actor or at a fancy dress ball: a jester's costume
    From Wikipedia
    Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure?), short for "costume play", is a type of performance art in which participants wear costumes andaccessories to represent a specific character or idea from a work of fiction. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered onrole play. A broader use of the term cosplay applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    I checked the main page of the link you provided, which states, "Cosplay Island is a social networking, portfolio and resource site for UK cosplayers."

I never heard of cosplay/cosplayer/cosplaying, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it says:

Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure?), short for "costume play", is a type of performance art in which participants wear costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea from a work of fiction.

So a person is playing the part of a Stormtrooper, and therefore the word "costume" is appropriate.

(This is context that is crucial for us to be able to answer questions properly; please be sure you provide it in the future.)

Hotmale

Polish
    If you're visiting a web site created to serve a group of people who dress up in costumes in order to play mythical creatures, you should not be surprised to see costumes available for sale as "costumes." It doesn't matter whether the costumes represent storm troopers from Star Wars, Klingons, King Kong or Lady Godiva.

costume /ˈkɒstjuːm/n
    • a complete style of dressing, including all the clothes, accessories, etc, worn at one time, as in a particular country or period; dress
    • old-fashioned a woman's suit
    • a set of clothes, esp unusual or period clothes, worn in a play by an actor or at a fancy dress ball: a jester's costume
    From Wikipedia
    Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure?), short for "costume play", is a type of performance art in which participants wear costumes andaccessories to represent a specific character or idea from a work of fiction. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered onrole play. A broader use of the term cosplay applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context.

Yes, you are right. Thank you :)

Hotmale

Polish
    I checked the main page of the link you provided, which states, "Cosplay Island is a social networking, portfolio and resource site for UK cosplayers."

I never heard of cosplay/cosplayer/cosplaying, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it says:

Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure?), short for "costume play", is a type of performance art in which participants wear costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea from a work of fiction.

So a person is playing the part of a Stormtrooper, and therefore the word "costume" is appropriate.

(This is context that is crucial for us to be able to answer questions properly; please be sure you provide it in the future.)
    Actually, I was thinking about armour as Loob has suggested, but I thought that "armour" is something that a knight once wore. I only asked about a costume, because this page had "costume" in description.
    Thank you for the answer :)

stormwreath

English - England
    'Armour' means protective clothing made of some hard, resilient material to protect its wearer from harm, especially in battle. So yes, knights wore armour - or rather a suit of armour covering their entire body. In modern times, soldiers and some police officers wear body armour, such as a bulletproof vest or flak jacket, protecting just their torso. In the far future, maybe soldiers will start wearing full-body armour again (except made of some futuristic material), and it might be called space armour or stormtrooper armour or powered armour or an armoured suit or something else entirely.

Hotmale

Polish
    Thank you, Stormwreath. Your answer is very helpful :) I've never heard about flak jacket before!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >