Strabo Geografika

Margrave

Portuguese
Hi!

I need help to translate the text below, which is a paragraph from Strabo's Geografika.

1582591804317.png

I wonder if anybody can help me. :)

Rgs

MG

• sotos

Greek
    I don't understand the ευαλδές. The rest is "... and with good vineyards. The island is * to the direction of Moron, a city well situated on a mountain near the river, at a distance of 500 ... from the sea".

Margrave

Portuguese
    The island is * to the direction of Moron
    Thank you. Please, what is the word you are not able to translate (represented by *)? And what is the difficulty you are finding to translate it? :)

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

sotos

Greek
    The * exists in the original text (photo). The w. "ευαλδές" is actually "ευαλσές" as Acestor explained (=with lots of groves). Ευάμπελον may also mean "with many vineyards".

sotos

Greek
    κατά. This is one possible translation, I think. "In front of" cannot be excluded. You can possibly find in the web an english edition of Strabo, to cross-check.

Margrave

Portuguese
    Certainly. That was kind of greeklish. Thanks.
    @sotos "Greeklish" is a very good one ha ha. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Well, some Greek>English dictionaries state that κατά could be translated as "to the direction of". It is exactly this point that I am trying to understand better. Is it a wrong translation? Can we exclude this meaning from the rooster of meanings for the word κατά? Thank you for your input, it will help me much! :):):thumbsup::thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >