Straight down the line

LemonWolf

German
Source:
My Kitchen Rules season 5 episode 11, so it maybe exclusive to Australian English.

This is the situation:

People are sitting round the table at a dinner party. Someone has made a rude remark regarding a previous dinner party at one of the guests'. Nobody laughs, the situation is a little awkward.
Said guest later talks about how he was takem aback by the rude remark, using the following words:

"I was taken aback because it was really forward. She just blurted it out. Straight down the line."

It's obvious that it has something to do with being very, well, straightforward. I'm just not sure if there is a derogatory implication or not, as in, "not thinking before you open your mouth".
So has anyone ever heard this being used before?

I'm writing a German voice-over script based on the English dialogue, and I don't really know what to do with this phrase.

Thanks a heap :)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    [...] She just blurted it out. Straight down the line."
    I would take "Straight down the line." as meaning Honestly; Directly; Without adornment; Just like that! It is qualifying blurt out. The full version would be: "She just blurted it out. She blurted it out straight down the line."

"He mixed the paint and the varnish! I told him straight down the line that he was an idiot."

<< ---- * >>

<< * Removed by moderator. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Susan Y

British English
    Just wanted to confirm from Australia that the expression is used here as Paul Q says. To translate it, I would use the German equivalent for "directly" or "bluntly" or something similar.

PS I forgot to say, welcome to the forum, LemonWolf!

Last edited:

LemonWolf

German
    Hey everyone, thanks for your replies and for the welcome. Nice to be on board, I've been lurking for quite a while. This forum has already helped me quite a few times with my work .

"Straight down the line" usually means blunt, but not in an offensive way, in a productive way.

It can be uncomfortable.
    All the scenes in the show are heavily edited, up to the point where sentences sound so unnatural that it's obvious they were spliced together. It's almost like those "faked interview" parodies that they do in The Simpsons sometimes.
    Uh, yes, getting sidetracked. My point is, the "straight down the line" bit was probably part of a different sentence before the scene was edited.

< Previous | Next >