straight on

< Previous | Next >
  • Jana337

čeština
    Běžte rovně a za mostem odbočte doleva.

I wouldn't use "přímo" (not příme) here. That would mean "directly" (i.e. do not stop anywhere, go there directly).

Tagarela

Português - Brasil
    Ahoj,

As for přímo, here it's a good example from my textbook:

Někdy, zvlášť když se trochu zlobí, místo vína si vezme pivo a pije přímo z lahve.

Jana, the translation for what you've written is "Straight ahead and then turn left on the bridge" ?

Na shledanou.:

Jana337

čeština
    Go straight and turn left behind the bridge.

The concept of turning on the bridge is a bit problematic. :rolleyes:

Tagarela

Português - Brasil
    Ahoj,

Go straight and turn left behind the bridge.

The concept of turning on the bridge is a bit problematic. :rolleyes:
    Well, it depends on the most, for what I've seen on pictures, Karlúv most isn't too high, it wouldn't be so dangerous. But in Nový Most (in Bratislava) it would be a major problem.

"Behind" is not very clear.
    D E
    | |
    A.....B=======C

One is walking from A to B, === (bridge), if he turns behind the bridge, he will stops on D or E?

Na shledanou.:

.Jordi.

polonès
    Hello all!

Tagarela, since no one so far has responded your question, I'll try to do it, hoping that there isn't a big difference in this particular case between Polish and Czech.
    I suppose that when we're saying a za mostem odbočte doleva, we're talking about the first possible road on the left. In other case I think that people would say something like second, forth etc. on the left/right in order to avoid the confusion which could be produced otherwise. Any native Czech-speaker to confirm these, please?

Cheers,

- J.

kelt

Czech Republic, Czech
    Hey,

I am unsure whether I get the problem here right, but I think there are issues with za that need to be clarified.
    If we use Tagarela's sketch and go from A to B, we cannot say za mostem, meaning D or E. Unless indentation is missing there and point E should be next to C, therefore behind the bridge:)

Za can mean two things:
    1. if our path leads across the bridge then za mostem means after we've CROSSED the bridge.
    2. if our path does not lead across the bridge and only passes it to the left (right) of it, then za mostem means after we've PASSED the bridge.

I suppose this should be the case in Polish as well, ...or maybe not.
    If I just explained an obvious thing without saying anything new, then I am sorry.

.Jordi.

polonès
    Hi Kelt! :)

I suppose this should be the case in Polish as well, ...or maybe not.
    You're completely right, I just thought that Tagarela sketch was wrong and that it should something like:

E D
    | |
    C.....B=======A

So, in accord to what you say, za mostem doprava could be (starting from A) D or E, however it would rather D than E, right?

And the second situation would be something like:
    | |~~~~ | | D
    | |~~~~ | | .
    | |~~~~ | | .............. C
    | |~~~~ | | .
    | |~~~~ | | .............. B
    | |=====.| | .
    | |~~~~ | | .
    | |~~~~.| | A

So then, starting from A za mostem doprava (=====) could also be B or C. I guess so...

But what do I think that Tagarela is asking about, is whether ,,za mostem doleva" means: "behind the bridge to the left (to the first street, exit or whatever it is on the left)" or "behind the bridge to the left (without specifying is it a first, a second etc. street, exit)".
    And what I wanted to ask: If someone asks you for a road to the point D (first sketch) or B (second one), will you say simply: "za mostem doleva/prava" or would you say: "za mostem first doleva/prava"?

Sorry if I'm not clear enough :(

Tagarela

Português - Brasil
    Ahoj,

Thank you, Jordi and Kelt.

I'm sorry, I haven't noticed that after I've posted my sketch was "desfigurated".

Mmm... it still not very clear too me. I'll try a better sketch.

A>>>>>>>B)======)C
    #######||######||
    #######D#######E

Starting point:A
    >>>>>> Way
    )====) Bridge
    # just to avoid "desfiguration".

So, if I say "za mostem doprava" it means that I'll stop on E according to Kelt's explanation, right?

Na shledanou.:

ps: We need a drawing device in the forum! Words are not enough in a language forum!

kelt

Czech Republic, Czech
    But what do I think that Tagarela is asking about, is whether ,,za mostem doleva" means: "behind the bridge to the left (to the first street, exit or whatever it is on the left)" or "behind the bridge to the left (without specifying is it a first, a second etc. street, exit)".
    And what I wanted to ask: If someone asks you for a road to the point D (first sketch) or B (second one), will you say simply: "za mostem doleva/prava" or would you say: "za mostem first doleva/prava"?
    Hi Jordi!

Za mostem doprava/doleva is perfectly fine, it will be understood first one after (passing) the bridge.
    However, if the street is second, third etc you need to say it: za mostem druhou/třetí doprava.

< Previous | Next >