straight time (american english!)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by jojoswann, Jul 4, 2006.

1. jojoswann Member

English, Northern Ireland
    Ok, this is one for all you americans out there ! I've got a contract to translate and the sentence is "accumulated on site time in excess of that quoted above is subject to billing at Inter-Source rates, straight time at 750 dollars per day".
    I'm presuming that straight time is the same as flat-rate, normal pay? And in french you could say "taux uniforme" or "tarif uniforme" ?
    Thanks very much for your help.

2. hibouette Senior Member

France and French
    straight is a way to say correct, usual

By example, a not-gay person is called "straight"

So I would say, that in that case, it's more something like "le prix/tarif de base (sans retards) est de 750". (straight= without any delay)

3. NYCPrincesse Senior Member

New York
    English, USA
    I'm sorry jojo, I'm American and I've worked with contracts but I have never come across "straight time". Based on the context, however, your guesses of flat-rate, normal pay sound good to me.

4. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    flat rate would be taux fixe

5. wonderful Senior Member

Bordeaux, France
    NFLD - France
    Hi

I'm not American but I have already heard this term when working for a trade show in the US. This term (straight time - ST) was used in opposition to overtime (OT).

Here is an article mentionning both tems. You may need to have a look at the FLSA
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,301728,00.html

6. jojoswann Member

oh dear, if an american doesn't know what it is, i'm in trouble ! ;)
    but thanks for your help nycprincesse. there's been a lot of odd words in this contract, i think this company have just made up their own language !
    i looked up flat rate in the dictionary, and it said "taux uniforme", but is it more common to say "taux fixe" ?

7. jojoswann Member

ps, thanks wonderful, it looks like we were on the right track after all...

8. texasweed

texasweed Banned

French-born/US English
    Courtesy of Gouvernement du Canada :

at a rate of 4 % of the straight time hourly rate of pay.
    correspondant à 4 % de leur taux horaire normal