strame

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
In an Italian movie, referring to a dovecot (colombaio) one of the actors reminisces about the "dung" that they used to spread on the flower beds. The word that he uses is strame which, as far as I can determine, refers to the straw used as a bedding. However, the subtitle reads "dung." Is the subtitle wrong ir is strame a synonym for pollina?

• london calling

UK English
    Hello, KG!
    I had a look in several dictionaries: it would appear to be straw bedding for animals, as you say. Of course, once soiled I suppose it could be spread on flower beds as a fertiliser!;)

Either that or they mixed up strame and letame (dung)!

Let's see what the natives have to say.

De Mauro says

stràme

s.m.
    CO paglia o fieno usati come foraggio o lettiera per il bestiame: portare lo s. nelle stalle.

I wouldn't say it's a synonym of letame and therefore "dung" is very inaccurate.

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    OK, thank you both.

Actually there is a link between strame and letame (from Corriere della Sera's Sabatini dictionary):

[le-tà-me] s.m. 1 Concime di natura organica formato da strame ed escrementi di animali che fermentano e si decompongono
    2 estens. Sudiciume, sporcizia

Last edited by a moderator:
    OK, thank you both.

Actually there is a link between strame and letame (from Corriere della Sera's Sabatini dictionary):

[le-tà-me] s.m. 1 Concime di natura organica formato da strame ed escrementi di animali che fermentano e si decompongono
    2 estens. Sudiciume, sporcizia

That's correct, but the point is: ci può essere dello strame nel letame, ma non c'è letame nello strame :)