streets run like a chess board?

phil_34

Is one of the following examples correct? how would you say it?

1) 'Typical for American cities, Miami's streets also run in chess board fashion.' /2) .... Miami's streets run like a chess board.

• Myridon

English - US
    "In a grid pattern." A chessboard of roads would be very strange - we think about moving from square to square, not along the lines between them.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Thank you guys. Okay so I can either say 'streets run in a grid pattern' or 'streets are laid out on a grid plan'.
    Both sound fine to me.

To Pete's one suggestion, I'd add an "s" to "angles" (... run at right angles...).

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Thank you, perpend.
    To Pete's one suggestion, I'd add an "s" to "angles" (... run at right angles...).
    I thought about it, and then decided that each corner where two street intersect form one angle. Oh, well.. :(

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I like your logical thought process, Pete, and I can't explain very well why, but I think due to the fact that we think of many streets in the grid, we consider there to be many "right angles", if that makes sense.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Well, logic is one thing, and usage is another!

Googlefight for "cross at right angle" and "cross at right angles": 638,000 results for singular, 3,520,000 for plural.

Myridon

English - US
    Paging forward in the results for "cross at right angle" gives only 97 results while "cross at right angles" stays at 328,000.

< Previous | Next >