strengthen things out

laoloup

Chinese - Mandarin
I guess you want to strengthen things out if you don't quite agree with each other. So you will probably argue, pretty hard maybe, until you either fall out or reach an agreement.

I've seen "strengthen things out" used quite a bit, but never got an official definition.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Welcome!
    Can you tell please tell us where you found this text?

My initial guess is that what is meant is to "tough things out," maybe, which means to endure a situation for a sustained period of time.

laoloup

Chinese - Mandarin
    Welcome!
    Can you tell please tell us where you found this text?

My initial guess is that what is meant is to "tough things out," maybe, which means to endure a situation for a sustained period of time.
    Thanks for the quick response, bibliolept.
    A couple was having a fight and the wife told the police that "he asked me to come home to strengthen things out."

I've also read:
    I won't have any choice but to alert the national police and ask them to strengthen things out.
    The staff were horrible, multiple customers with complaints including one couple who had to call the police to strengthen things out.

Looks it often has something to do with the authorities or someone with authority.

sdgraham

USA English
    I don't recall ever encountering it in AE, but Google finds a number of references.

It makes me wonder whether it's a corruption of "straighten things out."

WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English © 2019
    straight•en /ˈstreɪtən/ v.

1. straighten out:
      • to (cause to) become free of confusion or difficulties:[~ + object + out]Let's see if we can straighten this problem out.[~ + out + object]The police tried to straighten out the mess.
      • to improve in conduct or character:[no object]After he got married he straightened out nicely.[~ + object + out]A few years in the marines will straighten him out.

laoloup

Chinese - Mandarin
    It could very well be, sdgraham.
    I guess "strengthen out" can take up after "straighten out" to mean "get out of confusion or difficulties with certain efforts."

< Previous | Next >