stretch

< Previous | Next >

joh2001smile

Chinese
I don't quite understand the logic of the sentence because of the word. Does the word mean "a difficult job" here? Can I rewrite the sentence as "Try hard to develop a persona which can be effective and used, if used carefully and sparingly."?
In your career, developing a persona that is a stretch for you can be effective and useful, if used carefully and sparingly.

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    Imagine you are a shy person who doesn't like to speak in front of other people, but you want a career in sales where you have to be able to talk to people and persuade them to buy things. Developing the persona of a confident, out-going person may be difficult for you ('a stretch') but it could be effective and useful for your career. However, you should be careful about developing other personas, perhaps because you don't want to appear fake to other people.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    A "stretch" in this context is something outside of your comfort zone. Gwan's example is a good one but there are many others. If you learn something new, you are deemed to be "stretching" yourself. In other words, you are reaching (stretching) into new and unfamiliar territory.

joh2001smile

Chinese
    Imagine you are a shy person who doesn't like to speak in front of other people, but you want a career in sales where you have to be able to talk to people and persuade them to buy things. Developing the persona of a confident, out-going person may be difficult for you ('a stretch') but it could be effective and useful for your career. However, you should be careful about developing other personas, perhaps because you don't want to appear fake to other people.
    Gwan, thank you very much. You really made it very easy to understand.

joh2001smile

Chinese
    A "stretch" in this context is something outside of your comfort zone. Gwan's example is a good one but there are many others. If you learn something new, you are deemed to be "stretching" yourself. In other words, you are reaching (stretching) into new and unfamiliar territory.
    Dimcl,
    Thank you, I got it.

< Previous | Next >