strict on or about ?

beppo

Italian
For example,a police officer or judge is strict "on" or "about" law enforcement ? A teacher is strict "on" or "about" rules or behaviour ? Thanks in advance

• Tabac

U. S. - English
    For example,a police officer or judge is strict "on" or "about" law enforcement ? A teacher is strict "on" or "about" rules or behaviour ? Thanks in advance
    I think that 'about' is the better choice. If what follows is a verb, however, use 'in': "the judge is strict in enforcing the rules".

Ms Missy

USA English
    I also think "about" is the better choice of the two. However, it would be more common to say it as:

1. A police officer or judge is strict when it comes to law enforcement.

2. A police officer or judge is strict as far as law enforcement.

Victoria32

English (UK) New Zealand
    I also think "about" is the better choice of the two. However, it would be more common to say it as:

1. A police officer or judge is strict when it comes to law enforcement.

2. A police officer or judge is strict as far as law enforcement.
    In my opinion, it should be "A police officer or judge is strict as far as law enforcement goes"...

Vicky

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    In another context however, 'on' might be considered more usual, e.g.

On can not be too strict on the application of so-called rules in English grammar.

However, taking up Ms Missy's thread, this could be just as well expressed as:

One can not be too strict in applying so-called rules in English grammar.

Jackie4ever

Korean
    What about "My mom is strict on me." or "My mom is strict with me" Which one is better? Is it also possible to use preposition "to" in this context?

"My mom is very strict to me."

My longman dictionary shows only one option "strict with", so I was wondering if other options might be possible.

pickarooney

English (Ireland)
    Your mother can only be strict with you directly.
    She can be strict about you if she insists that your father not buy you sweets.
    She can be strict on attending school.

< Previous | Next >