stricten? [verb for "make more strict"]

englishjasmin

Slavic
I want to say that they need to make the rules more strict. Which sounds a bit clumsy. I want to use a verb for it. Something like They wan to strickten the rules, but my spellcheck says that is a worng word. Help anyone?

• owlman5

English-US
    Is there anything wrong with using "make the rules more strict"? That's how I would express it if I were writing this idea.:)

englishjasmin

Slavic
    It is, because I am writing that the authorities will need to to review and stricten the rules. So I am looking for a nice synonym for what I call stricten, so that I can avoide to write it in the long form "review the rules and make them more strict".

owlman5

English-US
    E2's "strengthen" sounds pretty good, but I find it a little unclear. Generally, "strengthening" something is to make it stronger. I don't necessarily consider "strong" a synonym for "strict" although it could be when referring to rules. Does that make sense?

englishjasmin

Slavic
    Tight tighten
    Strong streghten
    Strict stricen - why does this one not work? ;-)

Thanks guys for the help!!! ;-) At least I knwo that the word really does not exist.

owlman5

English-US
    We just don't have that verb, EJ. English relies heavily on adverbs and adjectives to express things that other languages do with other parts of speech.

EmptyArea

English - Southern England
    I would use your original sentence but instead of strict use stringent.
    "...they need to make the rules more stringent."

Hermione Golightly

British English
    From Wiki
    'stricten'
    (third-person singular simple present strictens, present participle strictening, simple past and past participle strictened)

1. (transitive, intransitive, rare) To make or become strict; tightenquotations ▲
      • 1967, Economic Statistics, volume 10, number 3-12:
        The Bank of Japan strictened, since August, its guidance on the fund position of city banks; it raised, as from September, the official interest rate by #0.001 (per 100 yen per diem); and it also enforced a measure for restricting the increased loans to be extended by urban banks.
      • 2013, Issues in Global Environment—Pollution and Waste Management:
        According to the news editors, the research concluded: “Overall, the study indicates that paraffinic HVO fuels are suitable for emission reduction with valve and injection timing adjustment and thus provide possibilities for engine manufacturers to meet the strictening emission."
      • 2013, A. Fog, Cultural Selection:
        He has no other option than to find some laws that can be strictened, well knowing that it is wrong to make hasty legislation in a highly emotional climate

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘦𝘯 is a real word. It just hasn't made it to the dictionaries yet.
    :D
    The difference between tight/tighten, strong/strengthen and strict/stricten might come from their origins. Strict is from the Latin verb stringere, to draw tight or compress; the past participle of stringere is strictus and the present participle is stringens (hence strict and stringent come from the same word). Tighten and strengthen are descendants of proto-Germanic words.

cross-posted

< Previous | Next >