strolled into the sauna (in the?) Finnish-style

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

The writer took a friend from New York to a public sauna in Finland:
When we were in the changing room, I smiled and remarked to my friend, “This is where we leave the towels, man.” He was not amused. Clutching his towel around his waist, he growled, “No way.”
Unfazed, I hung up my own towel and strolled into the sauna Finnish-style.

(This comes from theatlantic.com The Bad American Habits I Kicked in Finland by TIMOTHY D. WALKER Feb 4, 2015.)

Is the blue part correct? I think "in" should be added before "Finnish-style", that is, strolled into the sauna in the Finnish-style.

Thanks in advance!

• grassy

Polish
    I think "Finnish-style" describes the manner in which he strolled into the sauna: he simply went in naked.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I agree. "Finnish-style" is a direct replacement for "naked", and "in the" is not needed. I would go further and say that to add them would be wrong. You could have "in the Finnish style", without the hyphen.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It's not a familiar phrase but it's directly implied three times in the extract: “This is where we leave the towels, man.” He was not amused. Clutching his towel around his waist, he growled, “No way.” Unfazed, I hung up my own towel..."

Määränpää

Finnish
    The grammatical explanation seems to be that "[x]-style" or "[x] style" functions as an adverb:

Definition of STYLE
    -style
    adjective combining form or adverb combining form
    As an adverb, "Finnish-style" is less formal than "in the Finnish style". I think the informal word choice is meant to convey an idea of relaxedness and self-confidence in a humorous way.

ironman2012

Chinese
    It's not a familiar phrase but it's directly implied three times in the extract: “This is where we leave the towels, man.” He was not amused. Clutching his towel around his waist, he growled, “No way.” Unfazed, I hung up my own towel..."
    Can I understand this way:
    1. "strolled into the sauna Finnish-style/in the Finnish style" both can refer to "naked" in this context.
    2. "in the ... style" are often shortened to "-style" in informal speech.

< Previous | Next >