strong opinionated

< Previous | Next >
  • The Newt

English - US
    Not necessarily, but I also wouldn't regard it as grammatically correct. I probably would have said either "strongly opinionated" or "strong-opinioned."

cubaMania

To call somebody "opinionated" is generally pejorative. See the dictionary definitions.
    adj
    stubbornly believing in or declaring the correctness of one's own opinions;
    close-minded;
    dogmatic.
    However, we would not normally modify that adjective with the word "strong" (or even "strongly").
    The usual definition already includes the notion that it is excessive, and so it does not need to be modifies in that way.

The Newt

English - US
    To call somebody "opinionated" is pejorative. See the dictionary definitions.

However, we would not normally modify that adjective with the word "strong" (or even "strongly").
    The definition itself already includes the notion that it is excessive, and so it does not need to be modifies in that way.
    I would only agree with the first part of that definition. I would probably own up to being "opinionated," but I don't think it necessarily means that I'm dogmatic or close-minded. I agree that "strongly opinionated" is a bit redundant; "very opinionated" would be better, if "opinionated" by itself isn't enough.

Persephone-1992

Georgian
    Not necessarily, but I also wouldn't regard it as grammatically correct. I probably would have said either "strongly opinionated" or "strong-opinioned."
    I would not come to that conclusion. The unusual use of the word "strong" might indicate a view of the word "opinionated" that differs from the usual. The speaker might just have been attempting to say that you have strong opinions.
    Thank you again!

< Previous | Next >