strong spirit/courageous spirit/presence of mind

< Previous | Next >

Mher85

Armenian
Hi, Englishologists:). The Armenian President sends a condolence letter to his Egyptian counterpart. One part of that letter in question reads as follows:

"During this difficult time of grief and sorrow,I express my full support for you, the friendly people of Egypt and for the relatives of the victims, wishing them steadfastness and strong spirit."
The question is can I use the expression "strong spirit" here? If not, is there an alternative?

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think you can congratulate someone on their steadfastness or resolve, but the more I think about it the more it seems unnatural in English to "wish" someone to have these qualities. I think maybe "we support you in your resolve and determination" is the kind of phrase that would be used, but I'm not very familiar with these conventional expressions.

suzi br

English / England
    If you are translating quite literally I would try: strength of spirit. Maybe. This is a very tentative suggestion.

Mher85

Armenian
    I think you can congratulate someone on their steadfastness or resolve, but the more I think about it the more it seems unnatural in English to "wish" someone to have these qualities. I think maybe "we support you in your resolve and determination" is the kind of phrase that would be used, but I'm not very familiar with these conventional expressions.
    If "courage and resolve" suit your English mentality, I have no problem with it.:)

If you are translating quite literally I would try: strength of spirit. Maybe. This is a very tentative suggestion.
    "Strength of spirit" is a literal translation, but it seems that you deem it awful.:)

Sorry, people. I understand that sometimes I ask difficult and, in fact, language-specific questions. I just want to grasp the way you think and do my job well.

Insom

English - Australia
    Well, "wishing someone strength" makes perfect sense; "wishing someone spirit", not so much.

"Strength of spirit" sounds good to me.

suzi br

English / England
    No, I don't think it is awful, it is fine. My tentativeness is simply because I just don't know if it is the right answer for your situation.

I was was not sure what you were doing. If you have Armenian that you are putting into English and "strength of spirit" is a literal translation then it works better than the ideas you put forward in your OP

Mher85

Armenian
    Well, "wishing someone strength" makes perfect sense; "wishing someone spirit", not so much.

"Strength of spirit" sounds good to me.
    No, I don't think it is awful, it is fine. My tentativeness is simply because I just don't know if it is the right answer for your situation.

I was was not sure what you were doing. If you have Armenian that you are putting into English and "strength of spirit" is a literal translation then it works better than the ideas you put forward in your OP
    I guess I don't have to put an indefinite article before "strength of spirit."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Please note Mher that it isn't really possible to wish for a people "presence of mind" (one of the suggestions in the thread title). You may however congratulate someone (an individual) on their presence of mind, for example when they are quick to act in a difficult situation.

< Previous | Next >