structural heap

az09

Chinese
I can't imagine what Dolly was doing in the next sentence from Lolita. Could someone please help me understand.

The odious spinster, trying to conceal her morbid in-quisitiveness under a mask of dulcet goodwill, stood leaning on her slim umbrella (the sleet had just stopped, a cold wet sun had sidled out), and Dolly, her brown coat open despite the raw weather, her structural heap of books pressed against her stomach, her knees showing pink above her clumsy Wellingtons,[...]

Thank you.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    To me it suggests that the heap of books had been structured in some way. When carrying a lot of books it can be important to put the largest ones at the bottom of the heap, so that they act as a sort of tray on which to carry the others. The expression suggests to me that Dolly had organised her books a little before picking them up.

az09

Chinese
    To me it suggests that the heap of books had been structured in some way. When carrying a lot of books it can be important to put the largest ones at the bottom of the heap, so that they act as a sort of tray on which to carry the others. The expression suggests to me that Dolly had organised her books a little before picking them up.
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >