Struggles to Decipher Sexual Violence

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Rape Culture is not the idea that we live in a society that supports the idea of rape, but rather that we live in a society that trivializes, downplays and sometimes struggles to decipher sexual violence.
What Is: Rape Culture, video

What does the underlined part mean please?
Thanks.

• lingobingo

English - England
    “Struggling to decipher” sexual violence would seem to mean society’s failure to appreciate the full import of it, or to accept that people’s ingrained attitudes facilitate it.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    “Struggling to decipher” sexual violence would seem to mean society’s failure to appreciate the full import of it, or to accept that people’s ingrained attitudes facilitate it.
    Why is the verb "decipher" is used, what do you think? I can't see how it works here..

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I think it is referring to many things including when people don't think about using phrases such as "I felt like I'd been mentally raped" to mean that they were distressed or exhausted by thinking about something. The idea being that they don't even realise that by saying something seemingly so ordinary they are in fact trivialising the real act of rape.

"Struggles to decipher" in this context means that society uses these types of phrases (and presumably images etc where fashion models look as if they've been abused) unthinkingly but it struggles to decipher (or understand the reality of the hidden messages of sexual violence it is actually conveying). Usually, it takes an aware individual/group and protests etc to make society start to struggle to comprehend the problems with some of the verbal and visual messages it is conveying.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think (but can't be sure) that in the context of that sentence it probably means "the public sometimes fail to even acknowledge that an incident is a case of sexual violence. There's a progression: trivialises...downplays....denies the existence of...

The greater context would tell us what the speaker's attitude is.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Wikipedia has a very interesting article on this topic:

Rape culture is closely related to slut-shaming and victim blaming, in which rape victims are considered at fault for being raped. Scholars argue that this connection is made due to a culture that shames all female sexuality that is not for the purpose of reproduction in a hetero-normative married household.[3] ...

Victim blaming is part of a phenomenon known as 'Rape Myth Acceptance,' a term coined by researcher Martha Burt in the 1980s. It is defined as prejudicial, stereotyped or false beliefs about rape, rape victims, and rapists which can range from trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, labeling an accuser as a liar, stating that most rape accusations are false, refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence, or accepting that the victim "deserved it" because she was defined as a slut.[45]

Rape culture - Wikipedia

Rape culture - Wikipedia

< Previous | Next >