Strung up in tenterhooks

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
Context:

"Hud’s shoulders fell from his ears, and when that happened, Aidan and Gray relaxed as well.
Not Jacob. He felt like he’d been strung up on tenterhooks and left hanging.".

Source: Nobody But you, by Jill Shalvis

In need some rephrasing here. Tenterhooks, means suspense, so the first part of the sentence already means, in a way «being left hanging».
How to say it in other words?

october15

• october15

Portugal-Portuguese
    I know. That's why I need the rephrasing, otherwise I won't be able to figure out how to translate it and keep the pun somehow intact.
    Strung up means nervous. In my mother tong it could be somehting like hung [only] by wires. Hence in suspense, strung up on tenterhooks.
    This might be a solution.

october15

Andygc

British English
    What pun? The sentence is literal. Strung up here means hung up. The usual way of stringing somebody up is with a noose. In this case the stringing up is by using tenterhooks.

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
    He's anxious (strung up) for he doesn't how their brothers will react (on tenterhooks) the author is visibly playing with those with words, I want the translation to match. But I already figured how.(Hung by wires).

Thank you, anyway.

october15

Andygc

British English
    We can't tell from the amount of information you provided what the author was doing with these words. If her meaning is that he's feeling anxious, the combination of "strung up", "on tenterhooks" and "left hanging" is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
    Yes. I guess she's being deliberately excessive. But the image works.

I solved it. Thank you very much.

october15

< Previous | Next >