stubbornness does not become one whose life is cheap

< Previous | Next >

Oddworld

Español - España
Hi, I have heard this expression used in the following context:

One person refusing to tell another one about something the latter enquired, so the person who asked the question replies "stubbornness does not become one whose life is cheap" threateningly. I can sort of guess the meaning is something like "if you value your life you shouldn't be stubborn" but the problem I have is with the expression itself, it just doesn't make sense to me the way it's structured. I would appreciate it if someone could offer some clarification regarding this phrase.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Oddworld, where did you find the example?

"Stubbornness does not become one whose life is cheap" = "Being stubborn is not a suitable attribute for someone whose life is of little value [to me]." with the implication of "It would not matter to me if I killed you, so do not be stubborn."

Oddworld

Español - España
    Thanks that clarified things a little, I still have some problems wrapping my head around the way the phrase is worded. So in this context "does not become" equates to "not being suitable". If I may, this is some form of literary language right? I mean people wouldn't normally speak like this in their everyday life am I right?

Oddworld

Español - España
    You are right Edinburgher, now it makes total sense. Sheesh what an amateur mistake, sorry everybody I should have checked first.

< Previous | Next >