stuck in a rock and a hard place

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
I was waiting in line to check out at a supermarket. The line moved at a snail's pace. And when I finally got to the head of the line, the woman who was having her stuff ring up made a fuss about being overcharged. The cashier called over the manager, checked the prices but still couldn't find an error. That woman insisted that they were wrong and threatened to call the police. I had no idea when the episode was going to end. I thought about moving to another line but it was too long to worth another wait. At this point I was stuck. If I didn't change lines, I might end up being stuck watching the drama forever. But there was a possibility that the whole thing wouldn't last very long.

"I was stuck in a rock and a hard place" popped into my mind when I was having my life wasted at that supermarket today. Do you think it was an appropriate phrase for this situation?

• Loob

English UK
    Hi redgiant

I've never heard "stuck in a rock and a hard place" - though I have heard "stuck between a rock and a hard place". And yes, I think the "between" version could work in your situation:).

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you very much ,Loob. You're spot on. I got it mixed up with "stuck in the line". :eek:

< Previous | Next >